domingo, 6 de julio de 2014

Chamber Symphony, continued in Spain

(continued from the previous entry). ... Another request from Mr. Habibie for my chamber symphony was that it would have a Javanese element. I then decided to take the tune from the Javanese folksong, Lir-Ilir. The piano part has become so elaborated thanks to the inspiration through the rhythmic excitement of Anthony Hartono 2 weeks ago at Ananda Sukarlan Award (Jeeezz, it's already almost 2 weeks!) that a big chunk of it will land into a new Rapsodia Nusantara, I think no. 14. So yeah, you can say that Rapsy 14 grows from Chamber Symphony, or vice versa. .............................................................................................................................................. I came back to Spain a few days after the ASA was done. It's a great feeling, I have 2 weeks completely free at home, just to compose. I gotta finish this Chamber Symphony soon, I gave myself the deadline of July the 11th, exactly one month before the premiere so that the musicians could learn their (difficult) soloistic parts, especially Anthony. I know I won't make it, but hey it's always good to be strict with oneself. After the 11th, I've promised myself not to drink any drop of wine until I finish the Chamber Symphony. That would certainly speed up my work ! And then I gotta work on my opera, about a Chinese young girl being raped during the end of Suharto dictatorship era. I started that opera already, but then it was abandoned due to the Chamber Symphony which will be premiered earlier (11th of August). .............................................................................................................................................. On the plane back to Spain, I thought of doing something for the piece, but its structure is too complex, so I decided I would just wanna have some fun. Long time ago I promised a young winner of ASA Junior Piano Competition, Ayunia Indri Saputro, to write her a short piano piece. So I tinkered around her name, AYUNIA to make a motif which appears in the middle section, and it gave me a happy tune. So, this became the first piece written for Alicia's 5th piano book. The piece has a Mozartian lightness, and some polyphonic part when her name appears as such. I couldn't find a title for it (I am not in the mood to find fancy titles nowadays!) so it simply became A.Y.U.N.I.A written on the plane . As is almost a habit of mine with short pieces, I totally forgot about it until this morning I found it on my computer. I tried it on the piano, and it sounded nice, so I immediately sent it to her through her piano teacher, Rosalinawati Iman. And then, I write this blog. I'll make this short then, am in the mood to finish my work. It's raining outside, but it's quite a warm summer day. An ideal day to stay at home 'n compose :) .