sábado, 23 de marzo de 2013

Program notes : on my marimba etude & "Jemari Menari"

My etude for marimba solo, written for my dear friend, the great marimba player Miquel Bernat will be published this spring, and they asked me for a program note. And Genie Tjahjadi, an Indonesian-born mezzosoprano living in the US will sing "Bibirku Bersujud di Bibirmu" and "jemari Menari" in her recital next April. I have written about "Bibirku" so she can use that article here: http://andystarblogger.blogspot.com.es/2009_11_01_archive.html , so I just had to write about "Jemari Menari", so here they are : .......................................................................................................................................... The Birth of Drupadi is the first of my trilogy on the Javanese mythology fascinating female character, Drupadi. The second is for guitar solo, The 5 lovers of Drupadi and the third is The Humiliation of Drupadi for 2 pianos. I am thankful to Miquel Bernat for his inspiring insight on his instrument that has made it possible for me to write this piece. .......................................................................................................................................... Drupadi was born of wrath & revenge and was destined to bear grudges in her life. She was born of fire, from the sacred fire ceremony done by the king Putrakarma Drupada of Panchala kingdom as a revenge to his friend Druna who had humiliated him in front of his disciples. The pain and resentment had driven King Drupada to hold a sacred ceremony. Drupada begged the gods to be blessed with the perfect child to avenge Druna. Drupada's prayer was answered. From the holy fire out came two figures that the gods bestowed to him. A handsome male figure complete with mighty armor was given the name Drestadyumna who would later be given the responsibility of the killing of Druna. And the beautiful maiden female figure with dark skin color was Drupadi. For her whole life, the element of fire remained within her. .......................................................................................................................................... Jemari Menari is inspired by, and therefore dedicated to, my friend "Tris" as he likes to be called. I met him for the first time through his "klappertaart" (a type of cake) in a birthday party of a common friend of ours as his present, and it turned out that he is a fantastic pastry chef. But what is amazing are his fingers; those 10 fingers are the most beautiful fingers I've seen in my life: they are perfectly shaped, long, agile and nimble. Since I've enjoyed his gastronomic masterpieces since then, I thought of giving something in return. Far from being a masterpiece, my song is just a tiny remembrance to celebrate those dancing 10 fingers of his producing those delicious cakes. I was fortunate that one of my favorite poet, Nanang Suryadi, has a short poem about that theme that really fits with the music I had in mind that I could use.